Sunday, April 4, 2010

Art + Altruism

I never thought I would say it but I'm actually starting to fall in love with Chicago. Sad I know, but I've always had "the grass is greener" syndrome when it came to my hometown. There are lots of great things going on here, especially in the areas of art, that make me glad I stayed. Here is a great place I've yet visited but am sure I'll enjoy.

Nestled in the area of Bridgeport where, aside from Pilsen, is one of the city's best-kept art secrets. With Zhou B. Art Center not too far away, Co-Prosperity Sphere (C-PS) is an experimental cultural center that is both electrifying and progressive. With their hands in non-profits, magazines and city festivals, this place is sure to be staple in the Chicago art scene for years to come.

The Co-PProsperity Sphere contains the offices of the Public Media Institute, their parent company that is a 501 (c)3 non profit arts organization. PMI helps produce the annual Version Festival, the city's best art festival, and Select Media Festival. Public Media Institute also produces the art magazines Proximity, Pr, Matériel and the (Con)Temporary Art Guide Chicago. C-PS is also the home of Lumpen magazine and the newsletter The Bridgeport International. They also have a few artist studios as well as an international artist residency program. They help facilitate two satellite spaces: Eastern Expansion and our newest space/project in Chicago’s loop, The (Con)Temporary Art Space.

For more info and upcoming shows, visit coprosperity.org

No comments:

Post a Comment